Friday, September 14, 2007

Week 10-Extra Tools

Here's my 2 cents:

Pandora is awesome. Free music tailor fit to your taste AND you are in control of what music you like to hear or don't like. Plus, you can have different channels for when you want to hear a a specific type of music. For instance, I like Edwin McCain, Shawn Colvin, the Gabe Dixon Band, and acoustic guitar....but not at the same time. So I have seperate channels. When I feel like listsening to a bit of acoustic guitar, I chose that channel. Simple as that! GET AN ACCOUNT...TRY IT! IT's FREE!!!!!!

Digg is okay...not my favorite site, but it's neat!

I didn't like my Moo cards, but I think I'll revisit later when I can give more time to it.

Firefox Addons are plentiful...I recommend Cool Iris and Answers. Cool Iris lets you preview a webpage without even clicking to "go" to the site. In essence you can do a google search, then move your mouse of the link while a pop up of that webpage appears. But, it's not just an image---it's the webpage, so you can navigate the page without ever leaving your google results. For a reference librarian like me, this is GREAT!

Answers isn't as time saving as that, but it is just as neat. After you download the addon into your Firefox browser, just hold the ALT key and click on ANY WORD on ANY WEBPAGE and a pop up box will provide spelling, audio sample of the word, definition of the word, plus related links associated with that word. For example, I held ALT and clicked on the word "audiobooks" on our the library's home page. The pop up 'answer" box gave me a definition of audiobooks and some neat information related to audiobooks. It's cool!!

Alright....it's your turn!!!

No comments: